mobile navigation
close buttonClose Menu

    close buttonClose Menu



    Freaky Home Electrical Problems And How To Avoid Electrical Hazards

    by VitalStorm Marketing on October 18, 2021

    electrical hazards, electrical problems, electrical, home electrical, home electrical system, electric, electrician

    Freaky Home Electrical Problems And How To Avoid Electrical Hazards

    Home electrical problems can be freaky – and dangerous if not addressed carefully and quickly. Electricity is a big part of our everyday lives, and we often forget that electrical hazards exist – and can pose a major threat to your safety and wellbeing. Here’s how you can avoid electrical hazards in the face of home electrical problems.

    1. Faulty and/or Outdated Wiring

    Good quality wiring is essential to home safety. Faulty or poor wiring can increase your chances of fire, power surges, and other serious problems. If your wiring appears damaged, worn, cracked or corroded, you should contact a professional electrician right away. The same is true with outdated wiring. If your wiring is old and outdated, avoid electrical shock and fires by having it replaced.

    1. Outlets Near Water

    Outlets that are in places with water present, such as a bathroom or kitchen, should be installed away from the source of water. Water and electricity never mix. If they do, it could cause an electric shock. This is why many professional electricians, like those at Kanon Electric, recommend installing GFCI outlets.

    1. Curious Children

    Yes, curious children can be a freaky home electrical problem – especially when their curiosity gets the best of them. Children of all ages are curious about the world and want to explore. If you have an electrical outlet within reach, you should consider investing in outlet covers. This is the best way to prevent electrical injuries.

    1. Electrical Fires

    Home electrical fires account for over 50,000 fires each year, almost 500 deaths and over 1,400 injuries. If you experience an electrical fire in your home, avoid pouring water on it. Even when faced with a fire, electricity and water still do not mix. Pouring water on an electrical fire can cause electrocution and only fuel the fire even more. It’s important to call the fire department in this case – and evacuate your home immediately.

    1. Lightbulbs

    Trying to remove lightbulbs before turning off the switch can be an electrical hazard and could result in electric shock. Not only that, but you should also make sure your lightbulbs are the correct wattage to avoid overheating.

    1. Extension Cords

    When used improperly, extension cords can overheat and cause fires. Not only that, but it can be a tripping hazard if left out in the open. Usually overheating is a result of overloading or connecting appliances that consume more watts than the cord can handle. Not only that, but damaged extension cords can also cause fires. As a general rule of thumb, you should look at extension cords as a temporary solution. They’re not designed for long-term use.

    1. Attempting Electrical Repairs Yourself

    This can be an electrical hazard in and of itself. Electricians are trained professionals with the proper skills, tools, and equipment to safely repair your electrical system. If you attempt electrical repairs yourself, you could face serious injury or even a fatality. Electrical fires, electric shock and electrocution can be serious or deadly. It’s best you leave this one to the pros!

    Contact Kanon Electric For All Your Home Electrical Problems in Washington State!

    Kanon Electric serves Federal Way, Tacoma, Puyallup, Auburn, Sumner, and the surrounding areas. For all your home electrical problems, no matter how big or small, contact the pros at Kanon Electric today by calling 253-302-8199 or online here.